Well, not quite. ;) But I am pleased with the results. Who would have thought that the shy girl who almost failed a public speaking course at university would turn out to really enjoy presenting. Turns out I only like speaking about geeky things, preferably to geeks. A limitation perhaps, but far less limiting than nearly peeing myself with fear in college. No, not literally.
Anyway, check it out. It is jam packed with brand new performance ideas to make your site fly.
The Exceptional Performance team at Yahoo! added 20 new performance rules and refined some of the original rules. I’m really excited about this; this performance goodness is just what developers need to accelerate the user experience even further.
- Flush the buffer early
- Use GET for AJAX requests
- Post-load components
- Preload components
- Reduce the number of DOM elements
- Split components across domains
- Minimize the number of iframes
- No 404s
- Reduce cookie size
- Use cookie-free domains for components
- Minimize DOM access
- Develop smart event handlers
- Choose <link> over @import
- Avoid filters
- Optimize images
- Optimize CSS sprites
- Don’t scale images in HTML
- Make favicon.ico small and cacheable
- Keep components under 25K [mobile]
- Pack components into a multipart document
Stay tuned, we’ve got more tricks up our sleeve. ;)